Friday, December 23, 2011

What's in a name?

So naming your child is kind of a big deal. I mean they are pretty much stuck with it for their whole life. And while I know every person has their own personality, I definitely am a believer that your personality usually ends up fitting (or being rather close to some sort of generalization) about your name. Take Rachel. I thought my name was normal, but decently unique.... until I went to BYU. Most my BYU wards had 3-6 Rachel's in them, but this is the funny thing: you really are hard pressed to think of a Rachel you hate. I mean some Rachel's are annoying, but most seem to live on the fringe of popular to ameable. In all the Rachel's I met, most people generally liked them and wanted to be around them. Rachel's are not usually "the cookie", but fit quite well into the "cute" category and were generaly happy.

So now I have to name my kid (well soon anyways). And it's not only based on what I like/think about names and personalities, but then throw in Sean's opinion as well. Gage is apparently out becuase of some weirdo in Sean's past. Beckham has a veto (though I'm still "in like" with it) becuase of Sean's soccor experience. Liam is out becuase I think it sounds like a gay man. Graham thus far has been the winner. And I really think it's cute... but I don't have some perfect, adorable story or family connection to go with it. I originally thought of Grant because of McKenzie Mack's really cute cousin I used to oogle over as a kid. Graham got added to the list(and this is hard to explain without violating HIPPA laws) becuase I see a lot of names at work and I came across this one. (Sorry it is as specific as i can be). Honestly it has just kind of stuck. THAT'S IT. THAT'S THE WHOLE STORY. My poor kid. And I'll know exactly how he feels when he asks, "Mom, why did you name me Graham?" (which by the way means gravel or abode or possibly warring, while Grant means great,tall). and my only answer will be, "Because I liked it." Because my mom always told me she wasn't sure why, but she always wanted a little Rachel. Let me tell you, that answer makes for a really boring school report. But would it be worse to answer, "Because all the Grant's I knew growing up were HOT" ? Probably.

Anyways... I'm pondering names, supposed to be looking for carseats, have a weird sense of denial that Xmas is really going to happen (2 days, seriously), and miss my body 30 lbs lighter and about 2 shades tanner.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I think Graham is very cute, even without some amazing story. Hope you had a happy Christmas!